Friday, January 13, 2012

Our Grandmother's Secret to Health?

As I was cleaning the kitchen floor today, the old fashioned way-- on my hands and knees, I was thinking about my grandmother. She was very healthy until died at 85. In fact she probably died of old age.

But my thoughts were of how she was always cleaning. She did most of it herself, although my grandfather did help. And it was mostly manual. In fact my Mom and I used to marvel that when I was a child and Passover was held at her house, she did all of the work herself.

Even more amazing was that back then we celebrated two nights so she did everything twice.

I think all of this exercise cleaning helped our grandmothers live healthier lives.

While I can't find any specific research the Mayo Clinic includes housework when it mentions physical activity and then talks about the benefits of exercise.

Maybe there was an emotional aspect as well. Cleaning for company brings a certain satisfaction and even joy.

And joy was what I was feeling today as I thought of my grandmother cleaning on a Friday night just as I'm doing on a Friday night. And don't tell my children, but I hope they too will feel the joy, eventually, of cleaning on a Friday night and remember her.