Friday, June 24, 2011

Snacks to Boost Your Mood

Vitamin C
Citrus is a good choice for perking you up. The best sources are foods such as oranges, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, but also consider taking extra Vitamin C in capsule form. While I take my morning dosage of Vit C , I add extra mid-day when I'm slowing down. My 79-year old Dad swears by Vit C and says if he forgets to take it he can feel the difference. He's in amazing shape and can still beat me at tennis!


Pair a Complex Carb with Protein

Some ideas:

Apply with Peanut Butter

Carrots and Hummus

Blueberries and Cottage cheese

(Source of snacks Woman's Day magazine Special Projects Director Jaimee Zanzinger)

Omega-3

Fish is the best source of this acid that can improve your mood.
Salmon, mackerel, sardines

Sardine also has B12 which elevates mood.

And for those who don't like fish here are some other sources:

Flax Seeds
Dried Ground Cloves
Walnuts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Cooked Soybeans
Dried Ground Oregano
Mustard Seeds